By Co-founder, Cynthia Silverstein - July 2020
INTRODUCING THE EDIT
Iam Cynthia Silverstein, co-founder of Optical Underground. I have always been consumed with the beauty and colors of nature, personal style and fashion, and discovering new people, places, and things. Founding the company with my husband was the perfect vehicle for me to share my love of finding individual style. I have collected over 500 pairs of eyeglasses - some that I wore and still wear, some that are unique, and a few that were owned by people I have dreamed of meeting. I wanted to help my husband expand a way to make personal eyewear style from the best in design and manufacture accessible. Over the next few months, I will share some of my thoughts on individual style, things I love, art that makes me happy, and thoughts on the subject of embracing individuality. Enjoy the journey!
It is difficult to find the little bits of joy and vision right now. Our society's work in this new era of Black Lives Matter and COVID-19 is just beginning. I am optimistic that we can keep it going and make some permanent change to better this world. All I know for sure is that dreams of people, places and things keep us inspired and moving forward. This summer inspires visceral reactions to color combinations, desires to be outdoors and boldness (in vision and action). I have always been consumed with the style of things - interiors, what we wear, design, textures, color and art.
This is what inspires me today .....
SURREAL SUMMER EDIT: STRAW & BLACK
1. This is my 2nd pair of fabulous shoes from former professional dancer, Aminah Abdul Jillil. She's all is about grace and femininity with a large dose of va-va-voom!
2. I love all things Milanese - street style, food, architecture and art. I can't head to Milan right now, but fragrance from Culti Milano is the next best thing.
3. This straw colored Amphora style bag by Ines Bresand is available on Moda Operandi.
4. Spend hours looking at Italian artisans' work available on Artemest . I love this lamp and want it in every color!
5. These sunnies from iconic brand Oliver Goldsmith, available online and in store at Optical Underground.
6.For my outdoor picnic, I covet these antique wicker picnic chairs from One Kings Lane.
7. Read anything and everything by this amazing author, Ta-Nehisi Coates. This book is written as a letter to his son about growing up Black - a must read for everyone. Stunningly honest and beautifully written. Available at local bookstores such as Green Apple Books and Books Inc.
Pictured above: Aminah Abdul Jillil - don't know if I could walk in some of those shoes!
Shop our latest Oliver Goldsmith finds. Satisfy your eyewear addictions at prices you can't resist.